They had told her she couldn’t die. They hadn’t told her how much it would hurt. She was used to hunger, used to cold, used to loneliness, but she wasn’t used to dying. It was something that happened to others, something she’d do to others, not herself.
But she can’t lie to herself. They’d taught her enough anatomy to know what was happening. At first she raids carts, slipping away with a raw potato or cold sausage. When she’s too tired to run, she scavenges through trash bins, shooing rats from stale loaves or overcooked steak. She can’t get enough; soon, anything more than a bite won’t stay down. The muscles she’d struggled to build break down under carabolysis, converted into fuel for her hearts.
It is only a matter of time before she catches something. First came fever. Then pain. It doesn’t matter what it is, an infection or diarrhea or the flu. She can’t get warm or fed or dry, not without going back. And that is never going to happen.
Melody staggers past a pile of rubbish. A month ago, she would have gone through the entire contents, separating food and clothes from useless scraps. It doesn’t matter now.
“You okay?” The tramp sounds nice, concerned even. “Little girl, you okay?”
“It’s alright. “ He can’t help her now. “It’s quite alright.” She still has one trick left, a special gift not even they have. “I’m dying. But I can fix that. It’s easy, really. See?”
It will work, it has to work. She focuses on the part of herself that can sometimes see things before they happen, remember things that never were. Now, she tells it.
Golden light flows from her hands, wispy and warm: not fire, not merely brightness, but something more, something that takes the memories of cold and hunger and pain and wipes them away. It’s so new, so unlike anything else in her short life, but it feels right. She laughs. She can beat them. Someday, she’ll come back and beat them all.
The Sarah Jane Adventures Meme | (5/6) characters: Maria Jackson
- so the royalty is a joke. I can see why;
- BUT there is no need for the bloody contest! This is all Chancellor’s plan;
- you don’t find the Source of all magic that easily. Something’s fishy;
- Varg and Lexi talking. That broke me TWICE - at ‘you are the clever one’ and ‘maybe you loved him too’;
- and Lexi admits she DOESN’T WANT TO CONTINUE THE WAR;
- damn Varg is the clever one for once! 5min later - ISN’T THAT THE FUCKING UNDERSTATEMENT;
- Ursula dies protecting Randall Moon so he could tell the others. And it’s for real this time - Helen came for her;
(Now here is the part where there is no capslock big enough)
- EVERYONE (except Michael) IS TAKEN ABOARD;
- TOM IS IN THE MACHINE;
- LEXI YELLING ‘Because he is my friend!’ *I BROKE DOWN*
- THEREFORE LEXI IS STRIPPED OF HER STATUS;
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN CHANCELLOR KUTH IS THE PRESIDENT?!!! (there was a revolution on Nekron and no one told me?!). JATHRO 15 IS HER SON APPARENTLY;
- AND SHE NOW CONTROLS ALL SHIPS THE KING USED TO HAVE. THEY ARE COMING HERE;
- MAGIC IS SUCKED OUT OF TOM;
- BENNY IS THROWN TO THE SCORPULUS AND WILL GET EATEN ANY SECOND;
- ‘Open fire!’
Any part in capslock would have been enough for the cliffhanger alone, but this much?! I CAN’T HANDLE IT.
Well, that was yet another shed load of tears, I know they were building up to Ursula’s end but when her daughter showed up I was like THIS IS THE END!!! :’(”””’
I’m quite shocked Lexi didn’t say she loved Tom and vice versa but hey there’s always tomorrow.
How will Tom and Michael take her death though.
On a plus side, her death was one of the nicest and most touching they could have done.
Also, who is going to be the gay one as nothing was shown in that episode???
Finally, tom looks MANKY as an old man, just saying :/
I know, right? Like, I could see it coming a mile off, but still…what?
I CALLED IT, I CALLED IT, I CALLED IT!
I called it.
Bigger on the inside shawl pattern! I adapted this pattern a few years back and made a scarf for a fellow whovian’s brithday :)
I mean seriously they could be really useful especially when walking away from an argument. like *swish* whatever *walk away*
oh I am not the only one who wishes cloaks would be completely socially acceptable to wear
I don’t freaking care if cloaks are socially acceptable I’m gonna wear them anyway. *swish* Think what you want. *walk away*
Well, i have one. Or two. Actually two, so there.
Would you like a paid opportunity to engage one-on-one with a prize-winning, talented writer, journalist and blogger? Here’s your chance!
Nana Brew-Hammond, author of Powder Necklace is looking for a winter intern to start on January 6 – March 31. Apply now or share with a friend.